St Patrick’s Soup
This is a potato based soup that uses oatmeal for thickening. It can be served with warm soda bread for a complete Irish experience.
- 50g butter or vegan margarine
- 100g onions, sliced
- 225g potatoes, peeled and finely diced
- 225g carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 225g mushrooms, sliced
- 225g green cabbage, chopped
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 100g oatmeal
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Single cream or soya cream to swirl (optional)
- Melt the butter / margarine in a large saucepan. Add the onions, potatoes and carrots and fry gently for about 5 minutes until soft. Add the mushrooms, cabbage and ground cloves and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Add the vegetable stock and oatmeal, bring to the boil, then simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool, then puree in a blender or food processor until the soup is smooth. (If you prefer a slightly chunky soup, just puree half the mixture.)
- Return the soup to a clean pan and heat through gently. Season to taste. Serve in individual soup bowls with a swirl of cream on top if liked.