Burmese-style vegetables and golden rice
To make the rice simply add the spices to the rice and cook according to instructions on the packet. Remove the spices before serving.
For the Burmese-Style Vegetables:
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp sesame seeds
- ½ tsp fennel seeds
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 4cm fresh ginger, very finely sliced
- 1 bunch spring onions, chopped
- 1 tsp castor sugar
- 2 tbsps desiccated coconut
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander
- 225g carrots, sliced diagonally
- 225g green beans
- 150ml light vegetable stock
- 225g frozen peas
- 225g courgettes, cut in half lengthways and sliced
- 300ml coconut milk
- salt to taste
- 50g roasted cashew nuts
For the Spiced Rice:
- 225g basmati rice
- 5 cardamom pods
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 cm cinnamon stick
- 1 small bay leaf
- good pinch saffron
- good pinch salt
- Heat oil in large frying pan or wok. Stir fry seeds for about 20 seconds. Add garlic and fry for another 20 seconds Add ginger and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the spring onions, sugar, desiccated cocnut and coriander and mix well.
- Add carrots, beans and stock, bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add peas, courgettes and coconut milk. Simmer for 8-10 minutes until the vegetables are just tender.
- Season to taste, sprinkle with nuts and serve immediately.