Beetroot & caraway soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 450g raw beetroot, diced
- 1 potato, diced
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 900ml vegetable stock
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- sour cream or Greek yoghurt to garnish
- Heat the oil, add the onion and sauté gently, then add the garlic and caraway seeds. Cook for a further 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the beetroot, potato, cider vinegar and stock, cover and simmer for about 1 hour, until the beetroot is tender.
- Season to taste, allow to cool slightly, and then puré in a food processor or blender.
- Return to the pan, reheat and garnish with a swirl of sour cream or Greek yoghurt before serving.
Our thanks to The Vegetarian Society for sharing this recipe.