Apricot & Coconut Slice
Fruit purees sandwiched between crumble type mixtures always work well. The moist fruit compliments the drier outer layer.
- 225g dried apricots
- 175g wholemeal flour
- 175g porridge oats
- 50g coconut
- 175g margarine
- 125g sugar
- Soak the apricots in plenty of water for 3-4 hours overnight.
- Bring to the boil in the soaking liquid and simmer for 30 minutes until tender. Drain and puree in a blender or food processor until quite smooth using a little of the cooking liquid if necessary.
- Mix the flour, oats and coconut. Then melt the margarine with the sugar and pour over the dry ingredients. Mix thoroughly.
- Spread half of this over a well greased and lined 7” x 10” swiss roll tin. Cover with a layer of the apricot puree, then cover with the remaining flour and oat mixture. Press lightly.
- Bake at 190°C/375°F/gas mark 5 for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Mark into sections and leave to cool.