Apricot Chocolate Refrigerator Cake
Serves 40. Preparation time 90 minutes (including chilling time in the fridge). Cooking time 15 minutes.
For the Cake:
- 200g dark chocolate*
- 200g butter or Tomor vegan margarine*
- 4 tablespoons golden syrup
- 1 tbsp milk or soya milk*
- 500g vegan digestive or almond biscuits, crushed
- 200g apricots, chopped
- 100g chopped roast hazelnuts or almonds
For the topping:
- 300g dark chocolate
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a saucepan of hot water (the water should not touch the bowl).
- Add the butter or vegan margarine*, golden syrup and milk or soya milk* and stir.
- Remove from the heat, then stir in the crushed digestive biscuits, apricots and hazelnuts. Mix well.
- Line a shallow baking tray (approximately 25cm x 40cm) with parchment paper. Spoon in the chocolate biscuit mixture, press down well and chill for 1 hour.
Optional: Melt the remaining chocolate in a bowl over a saucepan of hot water. When melted, carefully spoon over the cake and spread evenly. Return to the fridge until set.
Cut into 40 pieces and serve. Will keep for up to three days in the fridge, in an airtight container.